Monday, May 2, 2011

Capsela: A Childhood Favorite


Capsela was one of my favorite toys as a youngster. Being that this was an electronic toy and that my parents gave it to me, the girl, rather than my brother, made it additionally special. With all its robotic gears, motors, wheels, and more, it definitely sparked my imagination on all the neat little contraptions I could create. My favorite little contraption is what I liked to refer as my floor scrubber. I kept bugging my parents saying that if we only added soap to the kitchen floor, this little robot would clean it all up for us. I only received polite smiles. Now if only there was some serious follow-up to all my said bugging the parents on my floor scrubber, we could have invented the iRobot Scooba first! See how important it is to let your children's imagination take flight?

The sad thing on the Capsela is that it is no longer in production. You can find some sets floating around the secondary markets as well as used on eBay. Though I am on the hunt for a current toy that could bring a similar beginner-robotic element to a young child's life. A type of item that snaps together easily enough and connects the gears and motors together without the need for an engineering degree, but will still bring the wonder and magic of simple machines to kids. Join in my quest for such a toy and please share with us any interesting finds you have run across.

No comments:

Post a Comment